Tier 2 (Ministers of Religion) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Religious Workers

To apply for a licence you must be a bona fide religious organisation, which:

  •  is a registered, excepted or exempt UK charity according to the charity legislation in force in your part of the UK, or is an ecclesiastical corporation, either corporation sole or body corporate, set up for charitable purposes; in Northern Ireland you must have charitable status for tax purposes from HM Revenue and CustomsNote: if you are a charity which is not registered according to the relevant charity legislation, you must tell us the reason for non-registration, the charities acts have more information see:
    • Charities Act 2011 for England & Wales
    • Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005 o Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008
  •  is the structure for a faith-based community with a common system of belief and spiritual goals, codes of behaviour and religious practice, which exists to support and/or propagate common beliefs and practices and where beliefs:
    • include any religious belief or similar philosophical belief in something transcendental, metaphysical or ultimate and
    •  leave out any philosophical or political belief concerned with man, unless that belief is similar to religious belief
  • does not exclude from your community on the basis of gender, nationality or ethnicity
  • receives financial and material support for your core religious ministry from your congregation or community on a voluntary basis, without promise or coercion
  • does not breach, or encourage others to breach any UK legislation
  •  does not work against the public interest, or has a detrimental effect on personal or family life as commonly understood in the UK
Want to find out if you qualify for a Tier 2 (Ministers of Religion)?
Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.